Confidence is something we all desire, regardless of whether we’re gay or straight. When you feel confident, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks; you’ll walk out of the house feeling great about yourself and how you look, and that’s what really matters in the end anyway, right? That may seem like the case, but everyone has some type of anxiety when it comes to their personal style and wardrobe choices, even those who identify as gay men like myself.
1) The Power of the Perfect Fit
It’s not just about having the right clothes for your body type. It’s about feeling confident in what you’re wearing. One way to do that is by investing in some good-quality accessories. But rather than focusing on jewelry, I suggest looking at other ways to accessorize: bracelets, rings, belts, hats, scarves, and shoes. These things can be easily swapped out with any outfit and give it an instant boost of style (and confidence). A great example is my accessory drawer—I always have a little something new to wear when my outfits feel stale. And they don’t cost much either! Here are five ways fashion accessories will make you feel more confident, straight from a gay guy’s perspective.
- Put Some Gold Pieces In Your Life: Gold never goes out of style and offers the perfect touch for many different occasions. Mix them up with silver pieces to add another layer of personality to your look.
- Carry a Handbag That Makes You Smile: There’s nothing worse than being somewhere beautiful but carrying around a backpack that makes you want to cry every time you look at it. Treat yourself or someone else to this little luxury if this sounds like you! They’ll thank you later.
- Wear Whatever Shoes Make You Feel Good: Shoe trends come and go so fast that I find it best to buy whatever shoes I happen to love each season, even if they’re not technically trendy.
- Use Accent Items To Add Personality: Scarves are one of my favorite accents because they can change a basic shirt and jeans into something special. Scarves also work well over leather jackets during the winter months when cold winds aren’t uncommon. All types of hats can be fun too; whether it’s a fedora for dressier occasions or an athletic cap for casual ones, your headwear game should always be strong.
- Finally, men should embrace the gold rings + gold bracelets trend and stack a couple up on their fingers and wrists as accents to any outfit. As long as they fit you properly, there’s no reason not to mix metals in your jewelry wardrobe.
2) The Right Colors for You
Choosing the right color is key to feeling confident. Colors can either improve or detract from your mood, depending on your skin tone and the type of shade you choose. For example, if you have pale skin that usually looks washed out in cooler colors (or any color with blue undertones) then choose warmer colors like oranges and reds. And if you’re fair-skinned and feel good in pink but don’t want to look too feminine then try peach instead. The key is finding what makes you feel your best. If there are certain colors you know make you uncomfortable, it’s worth experimenting with shades of those hues to find what works for you. Remember: confidence comes from within!
3) Mixing and Matching Textures
Mixing textures and patterns can create an interesting look that is both bold and sophisticated. Most often, this technique will call for mixing two different fabrics (i.e., wovens with knits), but it can also be done with two different materials (i.e., leather with fur) or even two different colors (i.e., black and brown). A good way to experiment with texture is by playing around with your favorite scarf: try wearing it over a blazer in the fall, using it as an accent piece on your coat in the winter, or doubling up on scarves during the fall and winter. You can also use accessories such as belts and ties to mix textures. For example, if you are wearing a cashmere sweater over jeans, pair it with a nice suit jacket or blazer and then wear a belt of the same material—leather—with an Oxford shirt and dress shoes.
4) Wearing What Makes You Feel Good
You might feel like you’re being part of the crowd when you wear something that everyone else is wearing. But if you really want to be confident and unique, then step outside the box and wear what makes you feel good. Consider all-day-wear bulge-enhancing cock rings – there isn’t anything more empowering than embracing the healthy side of your masculinity. It doesn’t matter who’s doing it or how many people are doing it. Wear what makes you happy!
5) The Importance of Quality
Quality is important when it comes to fashion accessories because you want to feel confident in what you’re wearing. When picking out items for your wardrobe, ask yourself if they will last and stay in style. For example, would you wear that bracelet with anything other than the outfit you bought it for? If the answer is no then put it back on the rack! One of my favorite places to find quality pieces at an affordable price is HARD NEW YORK. I love this store because they have a great selection and their prices are always reasonable. I can easily get matching bracelets, rings, earrings, or necklaces for any outfit I’m wearing. It’s always great to know I’m getting something that’ll look good with all my clothes and not just the one thing I was planning on wearing them with.