Training your body to be as strong, lean and healthy as it can be is no small feat, especially when you’re trying to do it on your own. But once you start learning about the incredible benefits that come from proper fitness and nutrition, you’ll find yourself motivated like never before. If you want to stay consistent with your training but need some help in the motivation department, check out these seven proven ways to tap into your fitness motivation and get shredded, fast!
7 Proven Ways to Tap Into Your Fitness Motivation and Get Shredded – Presented by “The Best Fitness Motivation Book” by Fitness Model Maxwell Alexander – Fitness Photography by Duncan Avenue Studios
1) Set yourself up for success
It’s easy to feel overwhelmed, demotivated, or like you’re not making progress. Here are 7 ways to tap into your fitness motivation and get shredded:
- Don’t wait for the perfect time. Start when you have time, even if it’s just 15 minutes a day. Then work up from there.
- Schedule workouts in advance and treat them like meetings. Write them on your calendar so that they don’t slip through the cracks.
- Find an accountability partner who has similar goals as you do, then check in with each other daily by phone or email to encourage one another. You can also set deadlines and have a friendly competition to see who gets their workouts done first.
- Reward yourself after hitting milestones along the way (i.e., losing 5 pounds). By giving yourself positive reinforcement, you’ll be more motivated to continue.
- Follow your nutrition plan to make sure that you’re fueling your body properly. Eat 3 balanced meals and 2 snacks per day with plenty of protein-rich foods. Carbohydrates should be low glycemic and contain fiber too. And always drink plenty of water!
- Exercise regularly throughout the week so that muscle memory kicks in. As soon as one workout ends, think about what exercise you’ll do next. Keep track of which exercises give you the best results and make sure to include those in your routine.
- Finally, take some time to explore different types of exercises. If you find new moves that help motivate you, incorporate those too! But remember, consistency is key. No matter how great an idea might seem, if you never try it out, how will you know?
2) Create a plan and stick to it
As a fitness coach, I know how hard it can be for some people to stay motivated. I’ve put together 7 proven ways that can help you stay motivated when the going gets tough. The first tip is simple: Make a plan and stick to it. When you have a plan in place, your success is assured because you’re focused on the steps that will lead to your goal rather than on what might happen if you fail. Once you’ve set your goals, work out how much time each day (and week) needs to go into achieving them. Once you have an understanding of why change is important for yourself, find other people who are working towards the same goals and offer them support or accountability so they don’t give up.
3) Set small, achievable goals
Setting small, achievable goals is the best way to tap into your fitness motivation. When you know what you want, you’ll be more motivated to get it. So set a specific goal that you can achieve in two weeks or less and create a plan for how to accomplish it. For example, if I wanted to run one mile in 15 minutes, my next step would be to do some research on how long it would take me to run one mile if I ran three days a week at 7:00 am and 5:00 pm.
4) Find a workout buddy
A great way to stay motivated is to have a workout buddy. You’ll be able to motivate each other, give feedback, and share in the successes of your workouts. Plus, you won’t let each other slack!
- Find someone who is on the same fitness level as you are.
- Share your goals with each other so that they know what they’re getting into.
- Challenge one another to push yourselves during workouts or competitions.
- Encourage one another when you start to lose motivation.
5) Track your progress
Track your progress. Professional fitness photography helps you see your progress, which can be a great motivator. You might even want to take before-and-after photos to document the changes in your body. The images will help remind you of how far you’ve come and that hard work pays off. The photos may also provide an excellent visual aid for anyone interested in starting a fitness routine or getting more fit.
6) Change up your routine
If you’re feeling unmotivated or bored with your workout routine, it may be time for a change. Make sure to mix up your workouts – You don’t have to do the same thing every day. In fact, mixing up what you do will make things more interesting which will help you stick with it longer. And if you start to feel stuck in a fitness rut, then this is when you need to change everything!
7) Reward yourself
There are a lot of different ways you can reward yourself for achieving your fitness goals. Some people like to treat themselves by eating something they wouldn’t normally eat, others might like to get an item from their wish list, or even buy a new outfit. The best thing about these rewards is that they are completely up to you! What works for one person may not work for the next, so it’s important to think about what would be most motivating for you.